A Blog About Imminent Victory

A Blog About Imminent Victory: John 12:23-26

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thoughts on Proverbs

The other day I was reading in my Bible, and I randomly opened to Proverbs 27:7, which says (NIV) "He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet. Normally I might have overlooked that verse and thought, "Oh. Thats nice," or something but God chose to speak to me in that moment.

I started thinking about how if we fill our lives with desires for money, toys, games, clothes, popularity, and other junk like that we won't hunger for God, and even the sweetest passages in the Bible will not satisfy us while we look after those other things. You might be thinking "But even if you yearn after other things, there is still a hole wanting God, isn't there?" Think of it this way. If you eat a bunch of candy because you are hungry, when you get full of it, honey (or other sweet food) does not sound appealing. Also, the candy will not satisfy you for long, like steak and potatoes and veggies might. But for a short time, you are full, and anything sweet sounds disgusting to your ears.

Likewise, if we are hungry, really hungry, even food that we normally are not crazy about tastes good. It still may not be our favorite, but we will eat it to ease the pain of hunger. So if we are yearning for God, if we are starving for him, even the passages of the Bible that are sorrowful and filled with angst or rebuke us will be somewhat fulfilling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Yearn after God, search for him, and he will fulfill you even when you don't expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment