A Blog About Imminent Victory

A Blog About Imminent Victory: John 12:23-26

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Walking

This has been one of the hardest poems for me to write to date. I went on a writing retreat this past weekend, and at the end of our time there, we had to share something we'd written. I tried for almost two days straight to get this poem to come together, and it simply wasn't working. For being on a writing retreat, I think I wrote less than I ever have in that amount of time, considering I set out conciously to write. It still doesn't feel completely finished, but here is a poem about walking. Enjoy.


I tried to write a poem about walking:
How my mother used to tell me not to scuff my feet;
How my sister walks so firmly that
I learned to walk lightly instead;
How my father has long legs and doesn’t mind being almost late;
How I have short legs and learn to
Walk fast because I’d rather be too early;
[I tried to write a poem about walking]
But my pen couldn’t translate
The memories from my mind

I tried to write a poem about walking:
The way I never notice the earth moving beneath my feet,
An act too undemanding and commonplace
To be celebrated regularly, even by recognition;
An act so purely physical
It doesn’t expect a description;
An act so simple, it never asks for an audience
[I tried to write a poem about walking]
But the more I walked,
The less I thought about walking

I tried to write a poem about walking:
Remembering places I have gone
Experiences I’ve been allowed,
All because I can walk.
My mind filled with memories of conversations
Walking has been a way to experience:
Traveling (across cities and countries)
Growing friendships, (new and old)
[I tried to write a poem about walking]
And I forgot again to be grateful
That I have able feet

I tried to write a poem about walking.
And it didn’t turn out.
And it didn’t turn out.
And it didn’t. Turn. Out.
So I wrote about writing about walking,
And it turns out,
I wrote a poem about walking anyway. 

~C.R. Sutton




1 comment:

  1. Hello Rissa. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your recent blog post and read your poem. It is a skill and talent and the Lord has given you talent to compose such poem. May you excel in this talent and let the reflection of God's creation and redemptive work be expressed through your poems. Well Rissa I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of MUMBAI during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us in the slums of Mumbai during your vacation time. I am sure your time will be rewarding and will give you a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wanhkede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete