[Spoilers. Duh.]
One of the biggest flaws in Television writing history happened with the How I Met Your Mother series. The finale sucked. It ripped apart years of character development and story lines and lessons learned. It degraded the female characters to mere plot devices, right down to Barney's baby girl, and many other things.
But we will get to that.
I first watched HIMYM way back when I got my first iPod and Marsall and Lily's wedding episode came with it, complimentary. I knew nothing about the show other that those 25 minutes for years. And yet I loved it enough to watch it on that tiny 2x3 inch screen multiple times. I loved the characters, their relationships. And then, 10 months ago, I started watching them all, from the beginning. I marathoned through it (don't judge me, I'm young. 10 years ago, would have been much to young to be watching a show like this). I watched the whole last season as it aired, eagerly anticipating Ted meeting her for the first time.
And then, 5 minutes after he does, they kill her off and send him running back to Robin.
Don't get me wrong, I love Robin. She was possibly my favorite character the first time I watched it. She is funny, unconventional, strong, smart, and goes after her dream. The writers made it clear in the first few seasons that Ted and Robin are not right for each other. Not even just because they met at the wrong time in their lives, but because they want different things. And yet, despite all that, the writers knew from the beginning that they were going to end up together (at least according to the show. I'm still in denial). They filmed the final scene with the kids early on (end of second season i think i read) which is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever done.
I get it. They thought that the show wouldn't last as long. And maybe if it hadn't, if it had only run 3 or 4 or even 5 seasons, that ending would have made sense. That's fine, they prepared for it if it turned out that way.
The problem is, it didn't turn out that way.
They had a plan, but plans change. Writers always talk about the characters directing the story, and I totally agree with that theory. Sometimes you, as a writer, want one thing, but the way the character is just begs something else. With 9 years of character buildup, and story and letting go and learning lessons, an ending that was planned at the beginning simply does not make sense.
I read a lot of good points on tumblr tonight, about how the mother is reduced down to her utuerus to give Ted the kids he wants, and how Robin and Barney's beautiful relationship about two broken people coming together was ruined because Barney couldn't truly love until he had a daughter, therefore degrading Robin's inability to have children, and Lily and her feelings were pushed aside pathetically.
I could rant forever, especially if I could remember what those people said. Rather, I think their words are better, so I'll give you the links here and here. The first is a bit long, but both are important, I think.
And then the mother. Tracy. We barely even know her name before she dies. And though this whole thing may be a part of Ted letting her go, I would just like to point out the only a few episodes before, he let Robin go already.
The mother is perfect for him. We've known that through many hints over the years. She deserves so much more credit. The show is practically named after her. She deserves to be loved. They changed the intro for an episode for her. They didn't have to do that and the show wouldn't have suffered, considering the carnal damage caused by the last episode.
I read a post stating you could watch the Pilot and the Finale and not miss a thing. and I think that's a very good point and a very terrible way to write a show.
As a writer, I think this sucks. Maybe you planned it this way, but you owe it to the character development to change it to fit them. You owe it to the fans that want so much more. you had great opportunities, and you screwed it up for a plan, probably made after 2 am, more than 8 years ago.
It's late. I need to go to bed. But I needed to rant my feelings. Have a good night, everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment