John 8:44. My friend Sara and I have said that verse since we were young Bible Quizzers every time we looked at the clock and it was 8:44. "You belong to your father the Devil and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for their is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." Ironically, I never really thought about who it was talking about, I never read the passage around it. Until now. Yet, I still cannot decipher what the words are trying to say. Any thoughts?
Matthew 25:40 Is one of my life verses. (see above) Today, I read the passage around it, and it is interesting to think of how we live our lives in little things, such as simply helping feed and cloth the poor, visit those sick or in prison, how we are really doing those things for God. Just my usual ponderings. Hope I didn't ramble too much :D
Jesus is talking to the Jews in John 8:44. They called themselves the "children of Abraham", which was true biologically. However, they refused to believe that Jesus is God's Son. Because of this Jesus says their real father is Satan, the only one who would dare to lie about who Jesus is. The Jews weren't being like Abraham was. They were being like Satan is. It all comes back around to "you can't serve two masters".
ReplyDeleteI have recited this verse for forever and I have never thought of it like this. Thanks, Jillian, for sharing this with me (even though I'm reading a three year old post!)
Delete