A Blog About Imminent Victory

A Blog About Imminent Victory: John 12:23-26

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Six words does not equal me.

(Disclaimer: I'm not there yet...)


Today I got this assignment in my Comp. and Rhet. class. We are to come up with a 6-word memoir that describes us. At first that sounds kind of easy. Oh, ok. I'll just write up a short little sentence about myself, put on a picture, and turn it in.

But I couldn't really think of anything.

I tried to brainstorm. But everything I came up with sounded stupid. Or didn't really describe me. Not fully, anyways. I wanted someting that would really grip people. Pull them in and make them think. It wasn't easy. So I gave it a break. Went to youth group and came home determined to try again..

The idea's started flowing:


Wishes are like prayers to me.

I am more complex than this

Music makes the darkness go away.

This Life isn't about me alone.

People are people anywhere you go.

Want to be more than this.

Experience is more important that knowledge.

Helping others=greatest thing for yourself.

Do. Don't. Trying isn't an option.



Yeah, ok. The last one sounds like Yoda. (I did kind of get the idea from him.) But as soon as I thought of it, I realized it is truer than I realized all these years.

We profess to be Christians. We go to Church on Sunday (and Wednesday), and say we believe in God, and have faith. Then we turn around and ignore the quiet kid alone at lunch, don't ask our friends to Church because we are afraid of what they will think. We pray for them but we don't talk to them. We don't go out of our comfort zones to do anything we don't want to. "Oh ye of little faith." Thats us.

We are like Luke, who turns to Yoda, and says doubtfully, "I'll try." but Yoda knows that without complete faith, it's not enough; its not worth it. Trying is not enough. If you don't want to commit fully to the task at hand, stop trying. Don't do it.

We need to stop TRYING. Trying isn't enough. Its a start, but it's not enough. If we really have faith in God, we will do what he commands whole-heartedly, no 'trying' involved. If it doesn't work, we should not be discouraged. God is in control, and maybe he was just testing us to see if we really did trust him.

Whenever I think of this, I think of Abraham. He didn't just try to believe in God. He believed that God would give him a son. And when God did give him a son, he kept that faith.

If Abraham had no more than tried to believe God was who he says he is, he would not have taken Isaac to sacrifice him. He would have said, "Ok, God. I tried this for a while. I tried trusting you and believing you, but this is just crazy. I quit." But he didn't. He said instead, "Ok, God. This is crazy, and even though its hard, I'm gonna believe you've got it all worked out in the end. I trust you because I said I would. I committed whole-heartedly, and I won't back out now."

If we try to be Christians, we won't be. Our light won't shine bright. We either are Christians, or we aren't. No halfway involved.


What if we all lived like this? How would the world be different? If we had true faith, we could change the world. And we probably would.

And that's where I got my six-word memoir.

WANTED: Faith to change the world.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Is it weird that these were some similar thoughts in my head last night as well?

    ReplyDelete